HHS withholds $867 million in Medicaid payments to California as part of ‘crackdown on fraud’

In the latest salvo in the war between the Trump administration and California, Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said Tuesday that his agency withheld $867.5 million in Medicaid payments to the state over concerns about fraud.

Kennedy also said his agency defered $199 million in Medicaid payments to Minnesota over similar concerns.

“If Gov. Gavin Newsom or Gov. Tim Walz wants this funding released, all they have to do is provide basic documentation showing that these services are legitimate and not fraudulent,” Kennedy said at a news conference.

Just under half of the funds withheld from California were in connection with in-home health services.

Dr. Mehmet Oz, the administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said California’s spending on in-home health services went up by more than double the national average over the last two fiscal years.

“That doesn’t make sense,” he said.

About a quarter of the funds withheld involved care provided to individuals with “unsatisfactory immigration status,” whose eligibility to be in the country and receive these services is in question, which Oz characterized as an “ongoing massive problem for California.”

The announcement by Kennedy and Oz on Tuesday comes two months after Vice President JD Vance announced that the administration would be deferring $1.3 billion in Medicaid payments over fraud concerns, largely connected to hospice services and in-home healthcare.

Newsom’s office, in a social media post, called the announcement a “recycled political stunt.”

“California isn’t being targeted because Trump has evidence of fraud,” the post said. “We are being targeted for political reasons — and because Dr. Oz doesn’t understand that we are *SAVING* taxpayers money by keeping seniors and people with disabilities out of far more expensive nursing homes!”

Newsom’s office also said that the state stands “ready to collaborate” with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services “in good faith efforts to combat fraud.”

The office of California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta said it is reviewing the deferral of payments and allegations of fraud.

“We have not hesitated to challenge unlawful actions by the Trump administration, and we will continue to act whenever Californians’ rights or access to critical services are threatened,” Bonta’s office said.

Despite Newsom’s claims that the accusations are political, the California state auditor has repeatedly flagged Medi-Cal eligibility discrepancies that have exposed the state to billions of dollars in questionable payments.

California Department of Healthcare Services spokesperson Anthony Cava noted, however, that a 2020 state audit of in-home care found “no program integrity concerns” and encouraged expansion of the program to reduce spending on institutional care.

Cava also pointed out that the federal government had previously approved California’s approach to in-home care.

Newsom and Oz have clashed before.

Newsom filed a civil rights complaint in January against Oz, after Oz posted a video to social media from Van Nuys in which he accused the “Russian Armenian mafia” of being a leading driver of $3.5 billion in fraud in hospice and home-care services.

Newsom said that Oz’s claims were “baseless and racist.”

The announcement by Kennedy and Oz on Tuesday is the latest effort by the Trump administration to crack down on suspected Medicaid fraud in numerous states across the country.

More to Read

Ben Wieder, Dakota Smith
Read More

Latest

My $60 million science experiment | Mark Rober

2,941,151 plays|Mark Rober| TED2026 • April 2026Mark Rober...

Jim Cramer Says He’s Selling Bitcoin Over Quantum Computing Fears

Jim Cramer said on CNBC on Monday that he plans to sell his Bitcoin, five days after IBM chairman and chief executive Arvind Krishna answered his question about quantum computing on the same network. Google Quantum AI research published in March cut the estimated requirement for breaking Bitcoin keys to about 500,000 physical qubits, roughly

Coldcard Exploit Expands as Attackers Steal Up to $130M in Bitcoin

Galaxy Research raised its confirmed tally to 1,596 BTC, more than US$100 million, taken from about 7,300 addresses as of Tuesday. A suspected fourth wave, which Galaxy holds with medium-high confidence and has not been confirmed through victim reports, would lift the total to about 2,055 BTC, or roughly US$130 million (AU$184.6 million). Coinkite’s advisory

Newsletter

Don't miss

My $60 million science experiment | Mark Rober

2,941,151 plays|Mark Rober| TED2026 • April 2026Mark Rober...

Jim Cramer Says He’s Selling Bitcoin Over Quantum Computing Fears

Jim Cramer said on CNBC on Monday that he plans to sell his Bitcoin, five days after IBM chairman and chief executive Arvind Krishna answered his question about quantum computing on the same network. Google Quantum AI research published in March cut the estimated requirement for breaking Bitcoin keys to about 500,000 physical qubits, roughly

Coldcard Exploit Expands as Attackers Steal Up to $130M in Bitcoin

Galaxy Research raised its confirmed tally to 1,596 BTC, more than US$100 million, taken from about 7,300 addresses as of Tuesday. A suspected fourth wave, which Galaxy holds with medium-high confidence and has not been confirmed through victim reports, would lift the total to about 2,055 BTC, or roughly US$130 million (AU$184.6 million). Coinkite’s advisory

Boltz Halts Bitcoin Swaps Indefinitely as AI-Powered Attacks Overwhelm Service

Boltz suspended its Bitcoin swap service indefinitely after sustained AI-assisted attacks overwhelmed its ability to safely maintain operations. The company said customer funds remained protected because its non-custodial design leaves users in control of their Bitcoin throughout swaps. Wallet providers relying on Boltz are working to restore affected services while refunds and customer support continue

The business of football

Mar­i­ano Browne The FI­FA World Cup is the largest sin­gle-event sport­ing com­pe­ti­tion in the world. No sin­gle sport­ing event match­es the sin­gu­lar, world­wide fo­cus and tele­vi­sion view­er­ship of the World Cup. The 2026 ver­sion is es­ti­mat­ed to have reached over 5 bil­lion peo­ple, out of the world’s 8.3 bil­lion. It is the most pop­u­lar sport

‘Sabah is open for business’: Hajiji courts investors with promise of sustainable growth, carbon‑negative credentials

Sabah is pitching itself as an Asia-Pacific hub for impact investing, betting that its forests, biodiversity and natural resources can become drivers of economic growth as it seeks private capital for sustainable development. — Picture by Firdaus Latif By Julia Chan First Published: Monday, 13 Jul 2026 11:44 AM MYT KOTA KINABALU, July 13 —

Want Your Business to Be Seen Everywhere? Meet Tonia Ryan, Creator of Fix Your Search

Some people are good at their jobs. Then there is Tonia Ryan, who has turned “getting found online” into something close to magic. She is the creator of Fix Your Search, and if you have ever wondered why some businesses pop up everywhere while others seem invisible...