Jake Paul reports ‘double broken jaw’ in KO loss to Anthony Joshua

Sports

Jake Paul sustained a “double broken jaw” in his loss to former heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, the YouTuber confirmed early Saturday.

Influencer-turned boxer knocked out in 6th round

The Associated Press

·

Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 4 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

A boxer punches another boxer in the jaw.
Influencer Jake Paul, left, and British boxer Anthony Joshua fight in a heavyweight bout at the Kaseya Center in Miami, Florida on Friday. (Giorgio Viera / AFP via Getty Images)

Jake Paul sustained a “double broken jaw” in his loss to former heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua, the YouTuber confirmed early Saturday.

Joshua scored a sixth-round knockout victory over Paul, who later posted an X-ray showing a jaw broken in two spots.

“Double broken jaw,” he wrote on Instagram. “Give me Canelo in 10 days.” In a separate post from what appeared to be a hospital room, he added “thanks for all the support I’m OK.”

Joshua ended the heavyweight bout with a powerful punch to Paul’s jaw, sending the American to the canvas for the fourth and final time. Paul was counted out as he struggled to get to his feet.

Concerns had been raised in the buildup due to the mismatch in size and skills. Paul weighed in at 216 lbs, and Joshua at 243 lbs.

Joshua, a two-time heavyweight champion, displayed why he is one of the sport’s elite punchers when he dropped the fading Paul twice in the fifth round.

Sensing the YouTuber was finished, Joshua rocked him with a right uppercut early in the sixth. The native of England then floored Paul with a combination to the head.

Although Paul (12-2) reached his feet again, Joshua (29-4, 26 KOs) finally crushed Paul’s upset dream when he dropped him a fourth time with a right to the head. Referee Christopher Young counted Paul out at 1:31 of the round in front of a capacity crowd of 19,600 at the Kaseya Center.

“It took a little bit longer than expected but the right hand finally found its destination,” Joshua said. “Jake Paul’s done really well tonight. I’m going to give him his props. He got up time and time again. I give Jake the respect for trying and trying. He came up against a real fighter tonight.”

With the victory, Joshua now can angle to reclaim the heavyweight title he lost against Oleksandr Usyk. Joshua also has talked about a long discussed match with countryman and former champion, Tyson Fury. However, Fury is currently retired following consecutive losses to Usyk in 2024.

It was Joshua’s first bout since Daniel Dubois knocked him out in five rounds in Sept. 2024.

Joshua methodically established pace against Paul from the opening round as neither fighter engaged early. Midway through the round, Paul threw an overhand right that Joshua blocked with his glove. In the closing seconds, Joshua scored with a right to the head near the ropes.

In the second, Joshua began utilizing his six-inch reach advantage by leading with a left jab.

Paul scored with a short right to the head early in the fourth. Later in the round, Paul twice fell to the canvas awkwardly as he again attempted to cut distance during close exchanges

“I gave it my all,” Paul said. “Anthony is a great fighter and I got my [rear end] kicked but that what this sport is all about. But I’m going to come back and keep winning.”

The 28-year-old Paul, who began his career in Jan. 2020, originally had targeted an exhibition in Miami with lightweight champion Gervonta Davis last month. But Davis encountered legal problems that scrapped the event. Paul quickly pivoted and landed the bout against Joshua in the same venue.

Celebrities in the crowd included golf champion Rory McIlroy, New York Mets slugger Juan Soto, Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy and retired NFL receivers Michael Irvin and Brandon Marshall.

In an undercard bout between retired UFC champions, 50-year-old Anderson Silva scored a second-round TKO against Tyron Woodley.

Also, Alycia Baumgardner earned a unanimous decision over Leila Beaudoin of Levis, Que.

Read More

Latest

Lil Wayne speaks out after feeling overlooked by Coachella and the Grammys

Music Lil Wayne reacts to Coachell and Grammys snub Award-winning...

Kehlani at 30: How ‘Folded’ Changed Everything | Billboard Women In Music 2026

MusicBillboard Women in Music 2026 Impact Award recipient...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Tesla’s Business Has Become Much More Diversified in Just the Past Five Years. Does That Make Its Stock a Better Buy Today?

Key Points Tesla's energy generation and storage segment generated 27% revenue growth last year. The company's non-automotive segments were able to help offset a double-digit decline in auto revenue in 2025. These 10 stocks could mint the next wave of millionaires › Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) is known for its electric vehicles (EVs), and while they

WD sees sustainability as key business driver in an ‘AI economy’

Hard drive company WD promoted long-term operations and sustainability executive Jackie Jung to become its first chief sustainability officer in February, as it steps up sales to companies building AI data centers. Her vision: Turn sustainability into a “brand” for WD, a strategy that reduces risk for the $6 billion company (formerly known as Western

5 Business Ideas Worth Starting in 2026

If there is one thing Nigerians understand well, it is how to spot opportunity inside hardship. In 2026, that mindset will matter more than ever. The economy is tough, competition is rising, and many people are looking for smarter ways to earn, build, and survive. But even in a difficult environment, some businesses still stand