Welcome to the Manchester Evening News’ live blog bringing you the latest Manchester United transfer news on June 20th.
Michael Carrick is looking to build on a fine second half to last season and already has his first major summer signing, in the shape of £35million Brazil international midfielder Ederson. He is expected to be one of at least two new central midfielders who join the club during this summer transfer window.
Aurelien Tchouameni is one potential option who is of long-time interest, but Jose Mourinho is understood to be keen to keep him in Madrid. Marc Casado, out of favour at Barcelona, is an alternative, while West Ham’s Matheus Fernandes is much liked and the Hammers need money. And quickly, as Tyrone Marshall explains in his latest transfer Q&A.
There is also interest at Old Trafford in JJ Gabriel, the teenage phenom, and when he’ll be able to make his Premier League debut.
We will bring you all the latest right here on our live blog, which you can read below…
Key Events
Jack Staplehurst
Check out our new blog
Thanks for following our Man United transfer updates. Click here to check out our new live blog with all the latest information from Sunday, June 21 onwards!
Bruna Reis
Ederson confirms true progress of Man United transfer moments after World Cup appearance
Ederson has confirmed that a move to Manchester United is ‘almost all sorted.’
United agreed a deal with Atalanta earlier this month to sign the midfielder, who looks set to become the first signing of the Michael Carrick era at Old Trafford. United are set to pay an initial €40.5million (£35m), plus €4.5m (£3.8m) in add-ons for the 26-year-old.
Ederson earned a late call-up to Brazil’s squad for the World Cup in place of the injured Wesley. He made his World Cup debut off the bench in the 3-0 win over Haiti on Friday night and provided an update on where things stand in terms of his move to Old Trafford.

Bruna Reis
Newcastle’s stance on Tonali
According to Chronicle Live, Newcastle are open to selling the Italy international ‘at the right price,’ amid interest from Man United.
Although some reports claim the club want £85m, the outlet states that the only figure Newcastle would consider acceptable for Tonali this summer is £100m.
Tonali’s agent Riso had said previously: “Exactly, that was the goal from the moment he went to England – to try to make him a star player. I think he’s the Italian footballer with one of the highest values in the world.
“The deal came about because a club like Newcastle, with unlimited financial resources, had decided to invest in Sandro. We considered the idea of having the player play in a higher-level league.”

Bruna Reis
Sandro Tonali rejected ‘bid’
Sky Sports understands that Newcastle have rejected an £80m offer from Tottenham for Sandro Tonali.
The bid, which is believed to have been submitted earlier this week, was ‘immediately’ turned down by the Magpies. Manchester United have also been linked with the Italian, while Manchester City are understood to be prioritising a move for Elliot Anderson instead.

Bruna Reis
Benjamin Sesko interest
According to Spanish outlet Marca, Barcelona have identified Sesko as an alternative to Julian Alvarez. While Alvarez remains their top priority, Atletico Madrid are refusing to negotiate.
Reports claim that if Barcelona cannot secure the former Man City forward, Sesko fits the profile they are targeting.

Bruna Reis
Igor Thiago claim
According to reports, Man United are competing with Arsenal for Brentford forward Thiago.
The Reds are said to be assessing whether to submit a bid for the £69m‑rated striker.

Bruna Reis
Felix Nmecha transfer ‘stance’
Man United are reportedly one of five Premier League to have been appraoched over Nmecha, who is said to be open to leaving Borussia Dortmund this summer.
Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City are said to have all been approached over the 25-year-old’s situation at Dortmund.
Nmecha reportedly does not have a release clause until 2027, but those involved in a potential transfer are signalling to interested clubs that a deal could be done for around £52 million (€60m).

Bruna Reis
Crysencio Summerville ‘competition’
According to Foot Mercato, Man United face competition from Arsenal, Tottenham, Aston Villa and Paris Saint-Germain for Summerville.
The report claims that Summerville’s market value has risen sharply since his goal against Japan. Having previously been valued at around £43 million, it’s said that his figure continues to climb.

Matty Hewitt
Mateus Fernandes transfer twist with agreement ‘very close’ for Man United target
Manchester United could be about to miss out on Mateus Fernandes, with Tottenham reportedly on the verge of agreeing personal terms with the midfielder. The West Ham United star turned heads during his debut season at the London Stadium, drawing admiring glances from United, Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid.
United had been widely tipped as frontrunners for the 21-year-old, with West Ham reportedly holding firm on an £80million asking price. However, Tottenham thrust themselves into contention this week, with talks understood to have progressed in an encouraging fashion.
Matty Hewitt
Man United learn ‘very realistic’ £50m asking price
TeamTalk claims Manchester United will have to pay £50million to sign midfielder Felix Nmecha this summer from Borussia Dortmund.
The report claims Liverpool and United are both realistic destinations for the German international who could leave the Bundesliga club.
Michael Carrick’s side are looking to bolster their midfield options but could also face competition from Real Madrid and Barcelona to sign the 25-year-old.
Matty Hewitt
Spurs ‘very close’ on Mateus Fernandes contract
Matteo Moretto claims Spurs are ‘very close’ to reaching an agreement with Manchester United transfer target Mateus Fernandes.
They claim the Hammers star is open to signing for Roberto De Zerbi’s Tottenham Hotspur, but the club have not held official negotiations with West Ham.
They claim Fernandes is on the radar of other big clubs. United are known to be big admirers if the midfielder.

Matty Hewitt
‘Dream target’ emerges
CaughtOffside claims Victor Osimhen is a dream target for Manchester United this summer as they look to bolster their striker options ahead of a return to the Champions League.
They claim United have a five-man shortlist to battle with Benjamin Sesko for the starting striker position.
Osimhen has impressed with Galatasaray since joining the club from Napoli, but the club also have other options.
Jean-Philippe Mateta, Dusan Vlahovic, Eli Junior Kroupi and Robert Lewandowski have all been linked with a move to Old Trafford.

Matty Hewitt
Man United star’s mum spotted in floods of tears after World Cup heroics
Matheus Cunha’s mother was filmed weeping with delight as her son netted twice for Brazil at the World Cup. The versatile forward is one of several Manchester United players who have caught the eye on the world stage across North America over the past fortnight.
Having come off the bench as a second-half substitute during Brazil’s opening fixture against Morocco, a match that ended 1-1, Cunha did enough to convince Carlo Ancelotti to hand him a spot in the starting XI against Haiti in the early hours of Saturday morning. And it took the 27-year-old very little time to leave his mark on proceedings.
Just 23 minutes in, Cunha demonstrated a striker’s instinct when pouncing on a rebound from Vinicius Jr, slotting home from close range to hand his nation the advantage. A little over 10 minutes later, Cunha had doubled his tally for the day.
KEY EVENT
Latest on United interest in left-sided forward
United have looked at numerous options who can play on the left. They are big admirers of Morgan Rogers, who fits that bill, but will come with a hefty transfer fee and a lot of competition.
The MEN reported a couple of weeks ago that United also like Iliman Ndiaye at Everton, who has shown little desire to sign a new deal on Merseyside, even if he does have three years left on his current contract.
Then there is Crysencio Summerville. The Netherlands international is another player United like and one that would be attainable, given West Ham’s issues mentioned above.
The difficulty would be in signing two players from the Hammers this summer, and as it stands United are still looking at their options on the left, on the wing and at left-back, and Rashford’s future will also come into play here.

KEY EVENT
Casemiro ‘agreement’ struck
Fabrizio Romano claims Inter Miami have reached an agreement with Casemiro ahead of a move to the United States.
The Brazil international will leave Manchester United this summer when his Old Trafford contract expires.
There had been some complications regarding LA Galaxy holding discovery rights for the player, but Inter Miami have now struck an agreement.
The former United midfielder will link up with Lionel Messi next season.

Matty Hewitt
Arsenal ‘to battle’ Man United for Brazil star
RTI Esporte claims Arsenal are set to rival Manchester United for Igor Thiago’s signature this summer. The Brentford striker scored 17 Premier League goals last season and was one of the standout performers for the Bees.
The Brazil international, who is over in the United States on World Cup duty, has a reported asking price of £77m with Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Juventus reportedly interested in him.
United are understood to be keen on adding another striker to their ranks this summer ahead of a return to the Champions League.

Matty Hewitt
Jarrod Bowen transfer doubt
Manchester United have been linked with a move for West Ham United star Jarrod Bowen in recent months and TeamTalk says there’s no guarantee the England international stays at the Hammers.
There are doubts about the 29-year-old’s future at West Ham after their relegation to the Championship.
United are interested in two Hammers’ stars this summer, Crysencio Summerville and Mateus Fernandes.
Matty Hewitt
Brexit, Premier League change, UEFA quotas – Five rules impacting Man United’s transfer business
Manchester United’s summer transfer window is anticipated to be among their most active in recent years. Last season, having missed out on European qualification, the Reds operated with a considerably reduced playing squad.
This was driven both by financial constraints and Ruben Amorim’s own tactical philosophy. Without Champions League revenue, United were unable to spend freely on player salaries.
Similarly, an oversized squad would have created discontent within the dressing room. However, having secured third place last season, they have earned their return to the Champions League and with a minimum of eight additional fixtures on the schedule, squad reinforcements are certainly required.
Despite being amongst the wealthiest clubs globally, United cannot spend indiscriminately to strengthen their squad. They must comply with financial and squad regulations as they seek to enhance their team.
With this in mind, MEN Sport has examined the five rules affecting United’s transfer activity this summer.
Matty Hewitt
Manuel Ugarte exit plan
AC Milan are considering a move to prise Manuel Ugarte away from his troubled spell at Manchester United. United are keen to offload Ugarte to the highest bidder this summer, with Italian giants Milan weighing up a deal to reunite the Uruguayan midfielder with Ruben Amorim.
United signed Ugarte from Paris Saint-Germain in 2024 in a deal worth £42m. However, the midfielder has struggled to make his mark at the English club, having started just 30 league matches across two seasons – and finding himself further down the pecking order after Kobbie Mainoo reclaimed his place in the side during the second half of last season.
Michael Carrick has since informed Ugarte that he has no place in his future plans. United have already brought in Brazilian midfielder Ederson from Atalanta and are poised to lodge a bid for West Ham’s Mateus Fernandes.

Matty Hewitt
Adam Wharton transfer ‘preference’
TeamTalk claims Adam Wharton is in talks to join Liverpool this summer with the player’s camp in discussions with the Reds.
Manchester United are among the club’s interested in the Crystal Palace midfielder, with Tottenham Hotspur also entering the race to sign the 22-year-old.
Michael Carrick’s side have been linked with the Eagles midfielder as they look to strengthen their midfield engine room ahead of a return to the Champions League.

ICYMIMatty Hewitt
Manchester United in talks to sign striker who scored 45 goals last season
Manchester United are holding discussions to secure the signature of 14-year-old striker Blake Henry following the youngster’s remarkable tally of 45 goals last season.
The England Under-15 international appears poised to depart Derby County this summer, with United believed to be leading the race for the forward, who has also caught the attention of Manchester City.
Henry featured in the U18 Premier League this season, establishing himself as one of the competition’s youngest ever participants just months after celebrating his 14th birthday.
Rich Jones
In case you missed it overnight…
Matheus Cunha took his chance with both hands after being handed the starting spot for Brazil in the FIFA World Cup.
Cunha made a resounding statement to manager Carlo Ancelotti as he got on the scoresheet twice in a dominant first half to lead his country to their first win of the tournament with a 3-0 victory over Haiti.
Well in, Matheus!

KEY EVENT
JJ Gabriel ban lifted as Man United wonderkid set new timeline
Manchester United starlet JJ Gabriel has found out exactly when he can break several Premier League and club records following the release of the 2026/27 season’s fixture list.
Gabriel until now has been a victim of his own success at such a tender age.
That’s because Premier League laws banned him from featuring in the competition last season because of his age. The rules stipulate that all eligible players must have celebrated their 15th birthday on or before August 31 of any playing season. Considering Gabriel only turned 15 in October 2025, he was banned from featuring in the 2025/26 campaign.
However, there remains a very small window in which he could still make a historic bow next term. Gabriel will be approaching his 16th birthday on October 6 by the time the 2026/27 season gets underway.
That leaves around eight weeks for the prodigious attacker to make his first-team debut and break David Gaskell’s record of being the youngest player ever to represent United at senior level. Former Reds goalkeeper Gaskell was only 16 years and 19 days old when he made his debut in the 1956 FA Charity Shield.
It means, should he feature against any of Hull City (A) on August 22, Ipswich Town (H) on August 29, Everton (A) on September 5, Manchester City (H) on September 12, Fulham (A) on September 19, Tottenham (H) on October 10, Leeds United (A) on October 17 or Bournemouth (H) on October 24, he will break the record.

KEY EVENT
Matheus Fernandes Update
As part of his Manchester United transfer Q&A, our man Tyrone Marshall has been asked about the club’s pursuit of Matheus Fernandes and the current state of play.
The West Ham midfielder is well liked at Old Trafford and could well be arriving soon. But there are interesting issues at play at the London Stadium, which is becoming a growing issue for the Hammers.
Tyrone explains…
The key date for Fernandes, at the moment, is June 30. That is the Premier League and EFL accounting deadline for the end of a season and West Ham’s don’t make for pretty reading. They lost £104million last year and admitted they would have to sell players even without relegation.
There is a feeling they might need to sell players to make sure they avoid breaching financial rules and, if that’s the case, they need to sell them in the next 10 days. That’s why United are happy to let the Fernandes situation play out at the moment. If it does go beyond June 30, I still expect him to join the club as things stand.
As for a third midfielder, as long as they can sell Ugarte I think there is a reasonable chance that we will see another addition after Fernandes.

KEY EVENT
Morning all
Right then. A new dawn, a new day.
Let’s get moving with the Manchester United transfer news…
Shane Ireland
Shaw ‘faces pay cut’
It is claimed that Manchester United are willing to offer Luke Shaw a new contract, albeit on a lower salary than his current deal.
The 30-year-old full-back has been an asset to United this season, but is out of contract next summer.
Having joined United in 2014 after coming through Southampton’s youth system, his last extension at Old Trafford was in 2023.

Shane Ireland
Rashford injury scare
Marcus Rashford has given England a fitness scare ahead of their World Cup clash with Ghana, writes John Cross for our sister title the Mirror.
Rashford complained of muscle tightness at the end of England’s win over Croatia as he also appeared to be feeling his hamstring. The England and Manchester United winger came on as a late substitute and his electric pace helped him score a fourth goal to seal the win over Croatia.
It is hoped that Rashford did not suffer any major issue ahead of England’s next Group match with Ghana in Boston on Tuesday.
But clearly they will be taking care of England players in the quick turnaround of a tournament especially as they have all been training and playing in different weather conditions which may have resulted in several complaining of cramp.

Shane Ireland
Man City could hand Man United worst-case scenario with £200m transfer plan
Manchester United’s plans of securing a cheap successor for Casemiro could be thwarted by City’s hopes of a midfield monopoly this summer. The Reds are currently in the market for reinforcement to their engine room, after the Brazilian made the decision to part ways with Old Trafford at the end of 2025/26.
While a number of suitable candidates to fill the void he leaves behind have emerged as of recent, City could prove to be a thorn in the side of their inner city rivals – given both sides are considering similar players. City are also in need of a new central midfielder following Bernardo Silva’s departure for Real Madrid, while Rodri could follow suit in a post-Pep Guardiola era.
City would be left threadbare in the centre of the park should a deal materialise. for the Spaniard. Both United and City are reportedly keen on Newcastle United’s Sandro Tonali ahead of the new season, given just how much of a shining light the Italian has been in an otherwise struggling side.
With no European football at St James’ Park next season, it is thought that Tonali could be tempted by the prospect of Champions League football under either Manchester club. However, a deal for the 26-year-old will not come cheap, given he is currently under contract until 2028 and the Magpies are keen to keep a hold of him and value him at over £100m at present.

Bruna Reis
Man United blocked from offering Crysencio Summerville dream welcome gift after transfer update
Crysencio Summerville won’t be able to take his dream squad number if he moves from West Ham to Man United this summer.
The Dutch international winger has been linked with an Old Trafford switch after suffering relegation, with a £50million fee mooted, though the Hammers are in no hurry to sell a player also being eyed by Roma.
Summerville wears the number seven shirt at the London Stadium, having taken it when he joined from Leeds in 2024 and previous holder James Ward-Prowse left the Hammers on loan the same summer. However, the number is already taken at Old Trafford.

