Sergio Gor backs Piyush Goyal, denies news report claiming India rejected quick trade agreement with US

Sergio Gor and Piyush Goyal dismissed claims of India rejecting a quick trade deal, emphasizing ongoing constructive negotiations between Washington and New Delhi. India and the US have yet to finalize a trade agreement as differences remain on tariffs and agricultural issues.

Union Minister Piyush Goyal with US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor and United States Trade Representative Ambassador Greer during discussion on finalizing the trade deal between the US and India, in New Delhi on Tuesday.
Union Minister Piyush Goyal with US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor and United States Trade Representative Ambassador Greer during discussion on finalizing the trade deal between the US and India, in New Delhi on Tuesday. ( Sergio Gor/X)

US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor on Monday rejected a news report which claimed that India has rejected a quick trade agreement with the US and is now holding out for a better deal.

“Fake news alert! No one has rejected anything. Both sides had very constructive meetings and reaffirmed their commitment to finalizing a trade deal. We continue to stay actively engaged,” Gor said in a post on social media platform X.

Addressing Reuters, the news agency which published report, Gor said, “Reuters – you can do better!”

The news agency had published an analysis titled “An emboldened India holds out for better terms in US trade talks”, in which it made the claim citing officials and analysts.

Gor’s comments come in the wake of India’s Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal also rejecting the report on Monday.

What Piyush Goyal said

Goyal, on Monday, rejected the claims made in the report, saying in an X post, “This news is completely false, baseless and misleading.”

“I had fantastic meetings with USTR Jamieson Greer, @USTradeRep, when he visited Delhi in June. Both sides reaffirmed their commitment to an agreement that is balanced, commercially meaningful, and delivers tangible benefits for businesses, farmers, workers, and consumers in both countries,” Goyal said, adding, “Our teams remain fully engaged in achieving this objective.”

Indian Trade Secretary Rajesh Agrawal, the top official in the ministry, said: “The framework deal is ready, whenever it is the right time, it will be signed”.

What the Reuters analysis claimed

Reuters on Monday claimed that the “two nations failed to finalise an interim trade agreement during US ​Trade Representative ‌Jamieson Greer’s visit to New Delhi last month, despite expectations from both sides that a limited deal was within reach.”

“There was no consensus because Washington did not offer assurances on New Delhi’s key demands: a tariff advantage over competitors such as China and no new US levies after the deal,” the report said, citing an Indian government official aware of the talks.

“Our position is clear – we don’t intend to rush into a deal that is not on favourable terms or compromise on red lines like ceding ground on agriculture,” Reuters quoted said official as saying.

The agency also cited a US source aware of the talks to claim that Washington views that India has to earn the preferential treatment it seeks on trade provisions by making its own concessions.

The two Indian and US sources the report is based on did not wish to be named, the agency said, since the negotiations are confidential.

US tariffs on India

Like most countries, Indian goods entering the US now attract a tariff of 10%. However, the Trump government is expected to introduce steeper tariffs later this month as it probes excess industrial capacities. India has denied charges of such surplus capacity, Reuters reported.

Washington has proposed tariffs of up to 12.5% on dozens of nations, which includes India, over allegations that they have failed to curb trade in goods that have been made using forced labour.

The Reuters report quoted another Indian official to claim that India is calculating whether some measures taken by the Trump government could face legal or political setbacks.

This comes as 22 Democratic state attorney generals have already filed objections to the proposed tariff rates by the Trump government.

“India realises that delaying – or even abandoning – a rushed deal may be more prudent than locking into obligations whose costs could far exceed any temporary tariff relief,” founder of the Global Trade Research Initiative Ajay Srivastava, who is also a former trade negotiator, told Reuters.

With agency inputs

About the Author

Sayak Basu

Sayak Basu is a digital journalist with more than seven years of experience in covering general news, politics, science, cricket, and football. He brings a sharp editorial eye and a keen attention to detail in the newsroom.

Sayak focuses on breaking stories, analysis of political and sporting events, and new scientific research that is pushing the limits of civilisation.

He has earlier worked for publications like NewsBytes, Cinemaholic, Zacks Investment Research, and Deccan Herald. Sayak currently serves as an Assistant Editor at Livemint where he runs daily news operations.

Sayak has a master’s degree in English Literature from Jadavpur University, Kolkata.

Based out of Bengaluru, he has a keen interest in world cinema, literature, sports, and music.

Stay updated with the latest Trending, India , World and US news.

HomeNewsIndiaSergio Gor backs Piyush Goyal, denies news report claiming India rejected quick trade agreement with US

More

Read More
Raleigh Mischke

Latest

Aston Villa targets Arthur Atta

According to TuttoMercato, Aston Villa is interested in signing Udinese midfielder Arthur Atta. The Frenchman has emerged as one of Unai Emery’s major targets this summer, with Villa looking to strengthen its midfield ahead of the new season. Atta joined Udinese from Metz in 2024, initially on loan...

Charli xcx & PinkPantheress Slam Peppa Pig for Shading Clairo: ‘Let’s F— Her Up’

Let's just say that the "Bags" singer and cartoon character have a history...

I turned off Windows Fast Startup and my boot time barely changed — but 3 persistent bugs disappeared

One overlooked Windows setting was quietly breaking three separate things...

Satisfy your sweet tooth during the Open Air Dunlop Butter Tart Festival

Festival returns to Downtown Barrie on Saturday, July 11, 2026 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., transforming the city's historic main street and Meridian Place into Ontario's sweetest destination...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Aston Villa targets Arthur Atta

According to TuttoMercato, Aston Villa is interested in signing Udinese midfielder Arthur Atta. The Frenchman has emerged as one of Unai Emery’s major targets this summer, with Villa looking to strengthen its midfield ahead of the new season. Atta joined Udinese from Metz in 2024, initially on loan...

Charli xcx & PinkPantheress Slam Peppa Pig for Shading Clairo: ‘Let’s F— Her Up’

Let's just say that the "Bags" singer and cartoon character have a history...

I turned off Windows Fast Startup and my boot time barely changed — but 3 persistent bugs disappeared

One overlooked Windows setting was quietly breaking three separate things...

Satisfy your sweet tooth during the Open Air Dunlop Butter Tart Festival

Festival returns to Downtown Barrie on Saturday, July 11, 2026 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., transforming the city's historic main street and Meridian Place into Ontario's sweetest destination...

Cowboys 2026 roster rundown: LB Dee Winters

Dee Winters has flown under the radar a bit since being acquired by the Cowboys. As an experienced linebacker with a fairly clear path to a starting role, you’d think there’d be more fanfare. But hopefully, the real noise around Winters will come from his performance in 2026...

The business of football

Mar­i­ano Browne The FI­FA World Cup is the largest sin­gle-event sport­ing com­pe­ti­tion in the world. No sin­gle sport­ing event match­es the sin­gu­lar, world­wide fo­cus and tele­vi­sion view­er­ship of the World Cup. The 2026 ver­sion is es­ti­mat­ed to have reached over 5 bil­lion peo­ple, out of the world’s 8.3 bil­lion. It is the most pop­u­lar sport

‘Sabah is open for business’: Hajiji courts investors with promise of sustainable growth, carbon‑negative credentials

Sabah is pitching itself as an Asia-Pacific hub for impact investing, betting that its forests, biodiversity and natural resources can become drivers of economic growth as it seeks private capital for sustainable development. — Picture by Firdaus Latif By Julia Chan First Published: Monday, 13 Jul 2026 11:44 AM MYT KOTA KINABALU, July 13 —

Want Your Business to Be Seen Everywhere? Meet Tonia Ryan, Creator of Fix Your Search

Some people are good at their jobs. Then there is Tonia Ryan, who has turned “getting found online” into something close to magic. She is the creator of Fix Your Search, and if you have ever wondered why some businesses pop up everywhere while others seem invisible...