HEALTH HAZARDS: Patients ‘left on floors’ as court interdict sought to halt Dora Nginza Hospital strike

The Eastern Cape Department of Health has sought an urgent interdict to halt an unlawful strike at Dora Nginza Provincial Hospital in Gqeberha, after scores of patients were left unattended when protesting staff abandoned wards and hallways, leaving heavily pregnant women – some awaiting caesarean sections – without care.

Among those most at risk, according to relatives, are patients in active labour. A family member of a woman admitted for a high-risk pregnancy said she had been waiting for more than 24 hours for an emergency caesarean section.

In a number of social media posts family members spoke of their fears, saying that patients were unattended and in need of procedures – but staff could not be found.

Patients ‘lying on the floor’

A video broadcast by eNCA on Friday showed patients unattended and lying on the floor at Dora Nginza, with claims of a dead body left in a ward. The footage was recorded by a visitor to the hospital.

On Friday, workers were seen singing inside the hospital building as they mobilised each other to converge for a mass meeting they hoped would be addressed by hospital management.

Andisa-DoraNginza
Striking workers at Dora Nginza Hospital on 10 April 2026. (Photo: Deon Ferreira)

However, only one official from the management team and a labour relations practitioner met with the workers, and engagements collapsed as staff demanded a meeting with management.

A meeting with senior officials from the department of health and trade union leaders was then set for later on Friday afternoon.

Gradual collapse in health services

The strike comes against the backdrop of a gradual collapse in health services in Motherwell, where about six clinics have been affected by crime, safety concerns and staff shortages.

As a result, patients from these facilities have been redirected to Dora Nginza Hospital, a move that has placed additional pressure on staff already working irregular hours, contributing to fatigue and mental strain.

Eastern Cape Nehawu provincial secretary Mlu Ncapayi said the strike comes after the health department failed to act on last year’s recommendations by Kholeka Gcaleka, the Public Protector of South Africa (SA).

“After the Motherwell Community Health Centre (CHC) closed, all patients that used to go to that facility were transferred to Dora Nginza, which caused so much strain to staff who already work under difficult conditions. Now with the collapse of the rest of the clinics in that area, all the patients that were serviced in those clinics go to Dora Nginza, which overwhelms staff.”

Ncapayi said one of the recommendations included the reopening of the Motherwell CHC to relieve pressure from staff at Dora Nginza.

Other recommendations were:

  • An implementation plan of the conversion of Empilweni TB Hospital to a district hospital;
  • A detailed report which includes timelines, indicating how the critical shortage of medical and non-clinical staff will be addressed at Dora Nginza;
  • A detailed plan indicating when the kitchen and laundry at Dora will be allocated according to the Revitalisation of Infrastructure Project, for which funds have been made available;
  • The recruitment process for the vacant position of non-clinical staff at Dora is finalised; and
  • A report which includes dates and timelines on how the provision of security inside the wards will be addressed.

Ncapayi said he has since learned from the media that the health department has gone to court to interdict the strike.

“This is what I’ve heard from other journalists that have called me, I haven’t heard anything from the department apart from the meeting this afternoon. Clearly the department will be negotiating in bad faith as they have also charged some of our members since the strike action started.

“If they will not retract those charges, we will have no choice but to approach the courts on Monday, as the department is in contempt of court for not implementing the recommendations of the Public Protector,” said Ncapayi.

Andisa: DoraNginza
Dora Nginza Hospital workers sing inside the building, waiting to be addressed about their concerns. (Photo: Andisa Bonani)

The department confirmed that it has taken decisive action in response to the situation such as the ‘no work, no pay’ principle, cases of intimidation and harassment have been formally opened with the police and criminal charges are being pursued, where applicable, and an urgent interdict has been initiated to halt unlawful conduct, while precautionary suspensions are being effected in line with due process.

Strike action condemned

Health department spokesperson Siyanda Manana condemned the strike in a statement on Friday, stating that any disruption, particularly one that falls outside the legal framework governing labour relations potentially affects patients and could compromise access to critical services.

“The Department emphasises that such actions are not in the best interests of patients, communities, or the broader public health system. The Department remains fully aware of the concerns raised by staff.”

Manana indicated that while the concerns are legitimate and have been treated with urgency and seriousness, the department is clear that there are established, lawful processes through which such matters must be addressed.

“These processes were not followed prior to the commencement of the current strike action. The department remains open to engagement at all times but not under conditions of unlawful industrial action,” he said.

“The department reiterates that leadership within an essential service carries heightened responsibility. Mobilising or participating in unlawful strike action is not only irresponsible but may result in serious consequences, including dismissal. All necessary steps have been taken to maintain service continuity, including the redistribution of patients and reinforcement of staffing at operational facilities.” DM

Thomas Pecora
Read More

Latest

Abortion bans lead to worse outcomes for miscarriages

🛡️ Just a quick check We’re checking your connection to prevent automated abuse

Kids Keep Getting Stuck in Hospitals, Even After Being Cleared for Discharge

Overwhelmed by the demands of caregiving, Quette dialed 911 when she found her teenage son downstairs in their kitchen struggling to breathe. He had rolled his wheelchair to the oven to keep himself warm as he tried to regulate his temperature, she recalled, and was drenched in sweat from an apparent infection. In that moment

Edimakor Mac V4.8.0 Elevates AI Music with Lyria 3 Pro & Integrates Seedance 2.0

Music NEW YORK, NY, April 18, 2026 /24-7PressRelease/ --...

Justin Bieber turns Coachella 2026 into a $5M merch empire

Music Please enable JS and disable any ad blockerRead...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Abortion bans lead to worse outcomes for miscarriages

🛡️ Just a quick check We’re checking your connection to prevent automated abuse

Kids Keep Getting Stuck in Hospitals, Even After Being Cleared for Discharge

Overwhelmed by the demands of caregiving, Quette dialed 911 when she found her teenage son downstairs in their kitchen struggling to breathe. He had rolled his wheelchair to the oven to keep himself warm as he tried to regulate his temperature, she recalled, and was drenched in sweat from an apparent infection. In that moment

Edimakor Mac V4.8.0 Elevates AI Music with Lyria 3 Pro & Integrates Seedance 2.0

Music NEW YORK, NY, April 18, 2026 /24-7PressRelease/ --...

Justin Bieber turns Coachella 2026 into a $5M merch empire

Music Please enable JS and disable any ad blockerRead...

Apple Music announces RCee as the latest ‘Up Next’ artiste in Ghana

Music Music Something's wrong here... It looks like nothing was...

Tesla’s Business Has Become Much More Diversified in Just the Past Five Years. Does That Make Its Stock a Better Buy Today?

Key Points Tesla's energy generation and storage segment generated 27% revenue growth last year. The company's non-automotive segments were able to help offset a double-digit decline in auto revenue in 2025. These 10 stocks could mint the next wave of millionaires › Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) is known for its electric vehicles (EVs), and while they

WD sees sustainability as key business driver in an ‘AI economy’

Hard drive company WD promoted long-term operations and sustainability executive Jackie Jung to become its first chief sustainability officer in February, as it steps up sales to companies building AI data centers. Her vision: Turn sustainability into a “brand” for WD, a strategy that reduces risk for the $6 billion company (formerly known as Western

5 Business Ideas Worth Starting in 2026

If there is one thing Nigerians understand well, it is how to spot opportunity inside hardship. In 2026, that mindset will matter more than ever. The economy is tough, competition is rising, and many people are looking for smarter ways to earn, build, and survive. But even in a difficult environment, some businesses still stand