Meta, YouTube found liable in landmark social media addiction trial, ordered to pay US$6M

People stand before microphones.
Plaintiffs who have filed lawsuits against social media companies speak to reporters outside of the Los Angeles Superior Court after a jury found social media giants Meta and Google liable for designing addictive social media platforms, March 25, 2026 Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

Article content

LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Wednesday found Meta and YouTube liable for harming a young woman through the addictive design of their social media platforms, ordering the companies to pay US$6 million in damages and opening the door to potentially far larger punitive awards.

National Post

THIS CONTENT IS RESERVED FOR SUBSCRIBERS

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE ARTICLES

Enjoy the latest local, national and international news.

  • Exclusive articles by Conrad Black, Barbara Kay and others. Plus, special edition NP Platformed and First Reading newsletters and virtual events.
  • Unlimited online access to National Post.
  • National Post ePaper, an electronic replica of the print edition to view on any device, share and comment on.
  • Daily puzzles including the New York Times Crossword.
  • Support local journalism.

REGISTER / SIGN IN TO UNLOCK MORE ARTICLES

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account.
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments.
  • Enjoy additional articles per month.
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors.

THIS ARTICLE IS FREE TO READ REGISTER TO UNLOCK.

Create an account or sign in to continue with your reading experience.

  • Access articles from across Canada with one account
  • Share your thoughts and join the conversation in the comments
  • Enjoy additional articles per month
  • Get email updates from your favourite authors

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Article content

The jury answered yes to all seven questions on verdict forms for both companies, finding that Meta and YouTube were negligent in the design and operation of their platforms and that their negligence was a substantial factor in causing harm to the plaintiff.

Article content

Article content

Article content

Jurors also found that both companies knew or should have known their services posed a danger to minors, that they failed to adequately warn users of that danger, and that a reasonable platform operator would have done so.

Article content

By signing up you consent to receive the above newsletter from Postmedia Network Inc.

Article content

“Accountability has arrived,” lawyers for the plaintiff said in a statement.

Article content

For years, social media companies have been shielded from most legal threats thanks to laws that grant them immunity from the potentially inflammatory or damaging content their users post. Wednesday’s verdict changed that calculus. The content on Meta’s Instagram and Google’s YouTube wasn’t the focus of the trial. Instead, plaintiffs attacked the companies’ designs and core functionality, creating a world in which they could continue to get sued unless the products are changed accordingly. 

Article content

A separate jury in Santa Fe, New Mexico, earlier this week found Meta liable for endangering minor users of Facebook and Instagram.

Article content

In New Mexico, the company was ordered to pay US$375 million in penalties, a verdict it said it would appeal.

Article content

A spokesman for Meta said they “respectfully disagree” with the verdict on Wednesday.

Article content

Article content

The panel assigned Meta 70 per cent of the responsibility for the plaintiff’s harm — a US$4.2 million share of the compensatory award — and YouTube the remaining 30 per cent, or US$1.8 million.

Article content

Article content

Jurors further found that both companies had acted with malice, oppression or fraud, a finding that sets the stage for a separate punitive damages phase.

Article content

The rulings could ripple across hundreds of pending lawsuits against social media companies facing similar allegations, with the total liability potentially running into the billions of dollars.

Article content

“Bellwether trials like this one serve as signals about how juries respond to specific theories of harm,” said Daryl Lim, a law professor at Pennsylvania State University.

Article content

He added that the verdict “should increase the pressure” on platforms to settle outstanding cases.

Article content

The plaintiff, known in court documents by her initials K.G.M. and identified as just Kaley at trial, is the central figure in a bellwether case that could determine whether social media companies can be held legally responsible for harming children’s mental health.

Read More

Latest

Aston Villa targets Arthur Atta

According to TuttoMercato, Aston Villa is interested in signing Udinese midfielder Arthur Atta. The Frenchman has emerged as one of Unai Emery’s major targets this summer, with Villa looking to strengthen its midfield ahead of the new season. Atta joined Udinese from Metz in 2024, initially on loan...

Charli xcx & PinkPantheress Slam Peppa Pig for Shading Clairo: ‘Let’s F— Her Up’

Let's just say that the "Bags" singer and cartoon character have a history...

I turned off Windows Fast Startup and my boot time barely changed — but 3 persistent bugs disappeared

One overlooked Windows setting was quietly breaking three separate things...

Satisfy your sweet tooth during the Open Air Dunlop Butter Tart Festival

Festival returns to Downtown Barrie on Saturday, July 11, 2026 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., transforming the city's historic main street and Meridian Place into Ontario's sweetest destination...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Aston Villa targets Arthur Atta

According to TuttoMercato, Aston Villa is interested in signing Udinese midfielder Arthur Atta. The Frenchman has emerged as one of Unai Emery’s major targets this summer, with Villa looking to strengthen its midfield ahead of the new season. Atta joined Udinese from Metz in 2024, initially on loan...

Charli xcx & PinkPantheress Slam Peppa Pig for Shading Clairo: ‘Let’s F— Her Up’

Let's just say that the "Bags" singer and cartoon character have a history...

I turned off Windows Fast Startup and my boot time barely changed — but 3 persistent bugs disappeared

One overlooked Windows setting was quietly breaking three separate things...

Satisfy your sweet tooth during the Open Air Dunlop Butter Tart Festival

Festival returns to Downtown Barrie on Saturday, July 11, 2026 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., transforming the city's historic main street and Meridian Place into Ontario's sweetest destination...

Cowboys 2026 roster rundown: LB Dee Winters

Dee Winters has flown under the radar a bit since being acquired by the Cowboys. As an experienced linebacker with a fairly clear path to a starting role, you’d think there’d be more fanfare. But hopefully, the real noise around Winters will come from his performance in 2026...

The business of football

Mar­i­ano Browne The FI­FA World Cup is the largest sin­gle-event sport­ing com­pe­ti­tion in the world. No sin­gle sport­ing event match­es the sin­gu­lar, world­wide fo­cus and tele­vi­sion view­er­ship of the World Cup. The 2026 ver­sion is es­ti­mat­ed to have reached over 5 bil­lion peo­ple, out of the world’s 8.3 bil­lion. It is the most pop­u­lar sport

‘Sabah is open for business’: Hajiji courts investors with promise of sustainable growth, carbon‑negative credentials

Sabah is pitching itself as an Asia-Pacific hub for impact investing, betting that its forests, biodiversity and natural resources can become drivers of economic growth as it seeks private capital for sustainable development. — Picture by Firdaus Latif By Julia Chan First Published: Monday, 13 Jul 2026 11:44 AM MYT KOTA KINABALU, July 13 —

Want Your Business to Be Seen Everywhere? Meet Tonia Ryan, Creator of Fix Your Search

Some people are good at their jobs. Then there is Tonia Ryan, who has turned “getting found online” into something close to magic. She is the creator of Fix Your Search, and if you have ever wondered why some businesses pop up everywhere while others seem invisible...