State Department urges Americans across Mideast to depart as strikes continue

The State Department on Tuesday ordered the mandatory departure of nonemergency personnel and family members in six countries in the Middle East over growing security concerns after two Iranian drones struck the U.S. Embassy in Saudi Arabia.

Officials also urge Americans across the region to depart as soon as possible, though many airports are shuttered and other transportation options are limited. If they can’t leave, they should shelter in place until further notice as Iran retaliates across the region in response to the U.S.-Israel attack.

The State Department created a task force to help U.S. citizens after the weekend strikes by the U.S. and Israel on Iran and Iran’s retaliatory efforts. But as a growing number of U.S. embassies and consulates suspend routine and emergency services, Americans still in the region have been left with limited options.

Airports in Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates and Doha, Qatar — including Dubai International Airport, one of the busiest in the world — are important hubs for travel between Europe, Africa and the West to Asia. All three were directly hit by strikes, according to The Associated Press.

Oliver Sims, 24, a content creator from Dallas, got stuck in Doha on his way back from a friend’s wedding in India. He contacted the U.S. Embassy there but said it couldn’t offer him any immediate assistance.

“They had so many emergency calls coming in, so they had to hang up on me,” he told NBC News.

Sims got in touch with his senator, John Cornyn, whose office reassured him it was aware of his location. “They said they’ll let me know of any plans to extract U.S. citizens,” he said.

Sims said he feels relatively safe and has been able to work remotely from his hotel room in Doha, but his parents are worried.

“My parents are constantly calling” he said, asking whether he’s OK and whether there’s any other way he can get out of the country. For now, Sims is staying calm, but he hopes to get back to Dallas in time to celebrate his 25th birthday Saturday.

In a video on X, Secretary of State Marco Rubio outlined how Americans can get in touch with State Department officials.

“Our No. 1 priority is the safety and the security of American citizens everywhere in the world,” Rubio said.

But a recording on the phone number Rubio recited to help Americans says: “Please do not rely on the U.S. government for assisted departure or evacuation at this time. There are currently no United States evacuation points.”

Later Tuesday, State Department officials said they were working on charters and military aircraft for Americans who wish to leave and had been in touch with nearly 3,000 Americans abroad.

The U.S. embassies in Jordan, Bahrain, Iraq, Qatar, Kuwait and the UAE were operating with limited staffs.

The embassy in Saudi Arabia was closed after the drone strike, which did limited damage and caused no injuries. In Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar and UAE, the U.S. embassies are also warning of potential drone or missile strikes from Iran.

In Kuwait, the embassy was closed and Americans have been told to stay indoors. In Jordan, diplomatic staff members were temporarily evacuated Monday over a threat.

The State Department issued a “worldwide caution” alert for all Americans overseas Saturday, the first since June 22, after the U.S. intervened in the 12-day conflict between Israel and Iran. The State Department doesn’t reveal its diplomatic footprint, so it’s unclear how many Americans are stationed in the Middle East.

On Monday, State Department officials urged Americans to depart from Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, the UAE and Yemen.

President Donald Trump has suggested the war could last a month or longer. U.S. and Israel have struck multiple targets, including Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps command and control facilities, Iranian air defense capabilities, missile and drone launch sites and military airfields. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and several lieutenants were killed in the attacks.

Iran’s Red Crescent said nearly 800 people were killed in Israeli and American strikes. Six U.S. service members died in action, and 11 people were killed in Israel as Iran fired back.

In Bahrain, after a strike on the Crowne Plaza Hotel in the capital city, Manama, Americans were warned to avoid all hotels as they may be targets for attacks. The U.S. Embassy remained closed, and all regular and emergency consular appointments were canceled.

Abigail Williams, Julie Cerullo
Read More

Latest

CMC Markets’ Client Assets Hit a Record £46.3bn amid Growing B2B Push

iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review Today’s financial news recap covers iFOREX cuts its EBITDA outlook after a sharp July income decline, Poland keeps its

A Citrus Grove Standoff: Why FL Homeowners Are Fuming Over a Golf Course

In Naples, FL, the South Naples Citrus Grove—selling fresh-squeezed juice, orange-swirled soft serve, and just about anything else you can make from citrus fruit—has operated on Sable Palm Road for decades. Nearby, black bears and Florida panthers amble through protected state forest. For those who walk and drive these roads, the area’s bucolic setting was

Apalachee school shooter had written plans: ‘Take a moment or two to stay calm and really think about if I wanna do this’

WINDER, Ga. (Court TV) — As a school shooter pleaded guilty to killing two students and two teachers, surviving victims stood in court to confront him. Colt Gray, 16, pleaded guilty to all 55 charges he faced — including four counts of malice murder and four counts of felony murder — for the shooting at

Southport killer transferred to high-security psych hospital after officials say he cannot be safely managed in prison

Axel Rudakubana, the man serving a life sentence for the 2024 Southport murders, has been transferred from HMP Belmarsh to Broadmoor Hospital, a high-security health compound, after authorities determined he could not be safely managed in prison. The Ministry of Justice confirmed the move followed an independent clinical assessment carried out under the Mental Health

Newsletter

Don't miss

CMC Markets’ Client Assets Hit a Record £46.3bn amid Growing B2B Push

iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review iFOREX Cuts Outlook; XTB Shares Fall on CFD Review Today’s financial news recap covers iFOREX cuts its EBITDA outlook after a sharp July income decline, Poland keeps its

A Citrus Grove Standoff: Why FL Homeowners Are Fuming Over a Golf Course

In Naples, FL, the South Naples Citrus Grove—selling fresh-squeezed juice, orange-swirled soft serve, and just about anything else you can make from citrus fruit—has operated on Sable Palm Road for decades. Nearby, black bears and Florida panthers amble through protected state forest. For those who walk and drive these roads, the area’s bucolic setting was

Apalachee school shooter had written plans: ‘Take a moment or two to stay calm and really think about if I wanna do this’

WINDER, Ga. (Court TV) — As a school shooter pleaded guilty to killing two students and two teachers, surviving victims stood in court to confront him. Colt Gray, 16, pleaded guilty to all 55 charges he faced — including four counts of malice murder and four counts of felony murder — for the shooting at

Southport killer transferred to high-security psych hospital after officials say he cannot be safely managed in prison

Axel Rudakubana, the man serving a life sentence for the 2024 Southport murders, has been transferred from HMP Belmarsh to Broadmoor Hospital, a high-security health compound, after authorities determined he could not be safely managed in prison. The Ministry of Justice confirmed the move followed an independent clinical assessment carried out under the Mental Health

Khuiusi Khisêtjê helped his people recover their land and future in the Xingu

Khuiusi Khisêtjê assumed leadership after disease and violence reduced his people to around 50 and killed many of their elders. He helped recover the Wawi Indigenous Territory, which contained ancestral villages, sacred places, and the graves of Khisêtjê relatives. He worked to preserve Khisêtjê songs, language, oral history, and cultural knowledge while preparing younger leaders

The business of football

Mar­i­ano Browne The FI­FA World Cup is the largest sin­gle-event sport­ing com­pe­ti­tion in the world. No sin­gle sport­ing event match­es the sin­gu­lar, world­wide fo­cus and tele­vi­sion view­er­ship of the World Cup. The 2026 ver­sion is es­ti­mat­ed to have reached over 5 bil­lion peo­ple, out of the world’s 8.3 bil­lion. It is the most pop­u­lar sport

‘Sabah is open for business’: Hajiji courts investors with promise of sustainable growth, carbon‑negative credentials

Sabah is pitching itself as an Asia-Pacific hub for impact investing, betting that its forests, biodiversity and natural resources can become drivers of economic growth as it seeks private capital for sustainable development. — Picture by Firdaus Latif By Julia Chan First Published: Monday, 13 Jul 2026 11:44 AM MYT KOTA KINABALU, July 13 —

Want Your Business to Be Seen Everywhere? Meet Tonia Ryan, Creator of Fix Your Search

Some people are good at their jobs. Then there is Tonia Ryan, who has turned “getting found online” into something close to magic. She is the creator of Fix Your Search, and if you have ever wondered why some businesses pop up everywhere while others seem invisible...