
The National Federation of Builders (NFB) has called for British contractors to be used to build the new Chinese embassy in London, as a means of allaying espionage fears.
It comes as housing secretary Steve Reed gave planning permission on Tuesday (20 January) for China to build Europe’s largest embassy at Royal Mint Court near the Tower of London.
The 20,000 square metre site, which was bought by the Chinese government for £225m in 2018, has been approved subject to certain conditions, including that development must begin within three years.
NFB chief executive Richard Beresford said: “Due to the potential security and conservation challenges associated with the project, the government should ensure that the construction contract goes to British firms with heritage expertise, like those who hold the NFB’s Heritage Approved Contractor Mark.
“This would help reduce the concerns expressed around national security, while ensuring the project remains a heritage asset.”
Concerns were raised in a letter to Reed from nine Labour MPs who are members of the international Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China, due to the proximity of the site to fibre optic cables carrying sensitive information from London’s financial district.
However, in a letter granting approval, Reed said there was no suggestion the use of the site as an embassy would interfere with the cables.
He also confirmed that no national security agencies had raised concerns.
The project will involve the refurbishment and restoration of several listed buildings such as the Grade II-listed Johnson Smirke Building, and the partial demolition of the Grade II-listed Seaman’s Registry.
It will also see part demolition, alterations and extensions to Murray House and Dexter House and the erection of a standalone entrance pavilion building.
Alterations are also proposed to an existing boundary wall and for the demolition of a substation.
The application, originally made in 2021, was rejected by Tower Hamlets despite a recommendation for approval by planning officers and was referred to Reed, who has now given approval following a public inquiry.
The then foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, granted conditional diplomatic consent to create an embassy on the site in 2018 and this was reaffirmed by the Foreign Office last week.
Read More
Nicola Harley
