A proposed national site standard for women in construction – already adopted by a leading construction body – has been officially launched at the House of Lords.
The National Site Standard for Female Operatives, authored by Construction for Women (CFW), is calling for 11 key changes to be brought into force.
The framework lists the minimum conditions required to ensure women are supported and protected across construction sites where the standard is adopted.
It addresses critical areas including welfare provision, PPE suitability, behavioural expectations, safeguarding, reporting mechanisms, psychological safety and leadership accountability.
It was created by CFW founder Renee Preston in response to “urgent and widely acknowledged challenges” across the sector, including the “persistent under-representation and attrition” of women on site.
The Considerate Constructors Scheme is the first national body to adopt the standard.
On Wednesday (15 January), Preston, who is chief executive of Manchester-based Gallaway Construction, launched the standard in Parliament.
“It feels like the right moment to stand in Parliament and ask for change,” she told Construction News.
“The whole premise is to show women that construction has changed. It is the move the construction industry needs to improve the skills gap and have a more inclusive environment.”
CFW, which launched two years ago, wants to see the guidance embedded into existing governance and assurance models, such as site audit and assurance frameworks, to hold firms accountable.
“Construction cannot resolve its skills crisis, meet future demand or maintain public confidence without attracting and retaining women,” Preston said.
“Clear governance, enforced standards and accountable leadership is essential to creating safe, modern and inclusive workplaces that meet societal, regulatory and client expectations.
“This National Site Standard represents a decisive step forward for the built environment.”
Last year Preston won more than 15 industry accolades – five in just one night at Construction News’ Inspiring Women in Construction & Engineering Awards.
Her achievements were recognition in part for her work in encouraging women into the sector through CFW.
She is launching six Next Generation Conferences over 2026 for women in Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, London and Glasgow and is aiming to get 1,000 women teamed up with mentors by the end of the year.
Read More
Nicola Harley
