Bruno Fernandes ‘offered’ instant Man United escape route after Europa League final

Bruno Fernandes has been linked with a move away from Manchester United after their defeat in the Europa League final

Felix Keith and Jake Stokes Senior Sport Central Audience Writer

20:30, 22 May 2025

BILBAO, SPAIN - MAY 21: A dejected Bruno Fernandes of Manchester United FC reacts following the 1-0 defeat in the UEFA Europa League Final 2025 between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United at Estadio San Mames on May 21, 2025 in Bilbao, Spain. (Photo by Jonathan Moscrop/Getty Images)
Bruno Fernandes couldn’t help United avoid defeat in Bilbao(Image: Jonathan Moscrop/Getty Images)

Bruno Fernandes has been presented with an offer following Manchester United‘s defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in the Europa League final, according to reports. After failing to secure Champions League football next season, the Reds are preparing for significant changes in the summer transfer window, and their captain could be among those departing.

The Mirror reports United have made their entire squad available for transfer following their loss in Bilbao. This drastic transfer approach includes Fernandes and other key players such as Casemiro, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Andre Onana, Alejandro Garnacho, Rasmus Hojlund, Kobbie Mainoo.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe is prepared to take a ruthless approach to provide Ruben Amorim with a new squad for the 2025/26 season. United aim to sign Matheus Cunha from Wolves and Liam Delap from Ipswich Town, but they reportedly only have about £100m to spend before considering sales.

Fernandes’ contract with United runs until June 2027, and the club also has the option to extend it for another year. However, following the defeat in Bilbao, the 30-year-old conceded that he would understand if United decided to sell him – a scenario that has now become a real possibility.

Manchester United are facing up to financial catastrophe after their Europa League final defeat
Manchester United are facing up to financial catastrophe after their Europa League final defeat(Image: Getty Images)

Now, Sky Sports reports that Al-Hilal are interested in signing the Portugal international, and their offer could be imminent due to the Club World Cup. The Saudi Arabian giants, who will play in the tournament in the United States next month, will be able to sign players from June 1.

They have already lured former Premier League players such as Ruben Neves, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Kalidou Koulibaly, and it is now claimed they are stepping up their efforts to recruit Fernandes. It was reported earlier this month by Mirror Football that Al-Hilal’s president, Fahad bin Nafel, met with the United captain’s agent, Miguel Ruben, and lawyer, Caetano Maria, to discuss the possibility of a three-year deal.

Although this initial approach was rejected by Fernandes’ representatives, Al-Hilal remain undeterred, it is claimed, and the midfielder’s candid remark to media outlets in northern Spain will have given them reason to believe a deal could still be struck.

Bruno Fernandes of Manchester United
Bruno Fernandes is wanted in Saudi Arabia(Image: Justin Setterfield/Getty Images)

When questioned about his future, Fernandes said: “If the club thinks it’s time to part ways because they want to do some cashing in or whatever, it is what it is. And football sometimes is like this.

“I have always been honest. I’ve always said I will be here until the club says to me that it’s time to go. I’m eager to do more, to be able to bring the club to the great days.

“In the day that the club thinks that I’m too much or it’s time to part ways, football is like this, you never know it. But I’ve always said it and I keep my word in the same way.”

Fernandes has been with United since joining from Sporting Lisbon in January 2020 for £68m, and, in that time, he has become a vital part of the team. In 289 appearances, he has contributed 98 goals and 86 assists.

Following Erik ten Hag’s appointment, Fernandes took over the role of captain from Harry Maguire. The Portuguese playmaker has been the standout player for United this season, contributing 19 goals and 19 assists in 56 appearances.

However, with the Reds languishing in 16th place in the Premier League and facing a year without European football, Ratcliffe is said to be prepared to conduct a ruthless clear-out this summer.

While loan players Rashford, Sancho and Antony are the main candidates for sale, there’s a sense that the club may need to part ways with some key figures as well. Amorim has previously lauded Fernandes as one of the world’s top players and dismissed speculation about his future.

Speaking to the BBC in early-March, Ratcliffe said of Fernandes: “There are some great players in the squad as we know, the captain is a fabulous footballer. We definitely need Bruno, he’s a fantastic footballer.”

Margherita Ramage
Read More

Latest

Lil Wayne speaks out after feeling overlooked by Coachella and the Grammys

Music Lil Wayne reacts to Coachell and Grammys snub Award-winning...

Kehlani at 30: How ‘Folded’ Changed Everything | Billboard Women In Music 2026

MusicBillboard Women in Music 2026 Impact Award recipient...

Newsletter

Don't miss

Tesla’s Business Has Become Much More Diversified in Just the Past Five Years. Does That Make Its Stock a Better Buy Today?

Key Points Tesla's energy generation and storage segment generated 27% revenue growth last year. The company's non-automotive segments were able to help offset a double-digit decline in auto revenue in 2025. These 10 stocks could mint the next wave of millionaires › Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) is known for its electric vehicles (EVs), and while they

WD sees sustainability as key business driver in an ‘AI economy’

Hard drive company WD promoted long-term operations and sustainability executive Jackie Jung to become its first chief sustainability officer in February, as it steps up sales to companies building AI data centers. Her vision: Turn sustainability into a “brand” for WD, a strategy that reduces risk for the $6 billion company (formerly known as Western

5 Business Ideas Worth Starting in 2026

If there is one thing Nigerians understand well, it is how to spot opportunity inside hardship. In 2026, that mindset will matter more than ever. The economy is tough, competition is rising, and many people are looking for smarter ways to earn, build, and survive. But even in a difficult environment, some businesses still stand