Hamas accuses Israel of delaying Gaza aid

An aid convoy destined for Gaza assembles in the southern outskirts of the Egyptian capital Cairo. – Copyright GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File POOL

Didier LAURAS

Hamas officials accused Israel on Wednesday of delaying aid deliveries to Gaza and jeopardising a truce and hostage release deal, an allegation Israel dismissed as “fake news.”

Since a ceasefire in the war in Gaza took effect on January 19, truckloads of aid have been allowed into the devastated Gaza Strip.

The truce is hinged on the release of Israeli hostages taken during Hamas’s October 7, 2023 attack, in exchange for 1,900 people held in Israeli jails.

Hamas has so far released seven hostages, with 290 prisoners freed in exchange. Three more hostages are due to be released on Thursday.

But two senior Hamas officials accused Israel of slowing down aid deliveries, with one citing items key to Gaza’s recovery such as fuel, tents, heavy machinery and other equipment.

“According to the agreement, these materials were supposed to enter during the first week of the ceasefire,” one official said.

“We warn that continued delays and failure to address these points will affect the natural progression of the agreement, including the prisoner exchange.”

Israel hit back at the accusation, with a spokesman for COGAT, the Israeli defence ministry body that oversees civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, calling it “totally fake news”.

Between Sunday and 1100 GMT on Wednesday, “3,000 trucks entered Gaza”, the spokesman said. 

“The agreement says it should be 4,200 in seven days,” he added.

As the text of the agreement that Qatar, Egypt and the United States mediated has not been made public, AFP was not able to verify its terms on aid.

Both Hamas officials said group representatives raised the issue during a meeting with Egyptian officials in Cairo on Wednesday.

If all goes to plan on the hostage and prisoner releases on Thursday, a further three hostages are set to be released on Saturday.

The agreement is intended to end more than 15 months of war between Israel and Hamas that erupted with the militant group’s attack on Israel in 2023.

The two sides are currently implementing the first 42-day phase of the agreement, which should see 33 hostages freed.

– Hope –

Next, they are due to start discussing a long-term end to the war. 

The third and final phase of the deal should see the reconstruction of Gaza as well as the return of the bodies of any remaining dead hostages.

The families of people still held in Gaza were holding out hope the truce would hold, with hundreds of people attending a rally in Tel Aviv on Wednesday to show support.

“We have to be optimistic. We have to keep on trying and not give up,” 27-year-old Shakked Fainsod said.

“If their families keep on fighting, then I don’t have the privilege to stay home and not keep fighting as well.”

US President Donald Trump repeatedly claimed credit for sealing the agreement after months of fruitless negotiations under his predecessor Joe Biden. 

He has invited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to the White House on February 4, according to the premier’s office.

“Prime Minister Netanyahu is the first foreign leader to be invited to the White House during US President Trump’s second term,” the statement said.

After the truce took effect, Trump touted a plan to “clean out” the Gaza Strip, calling for Palestinians to relocate to neighbouring countries such as Egypt or Jordan.

The idea has faced strong backlash from Egypt and Jordan as well as from European governments.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said Wednesday that the forced displacement of Palestinians was an “injustice that we cannot take part in”.

Despite the devastation wrought by the war, more than 376,000 displaced Palestinians have returned to northern Gaza, according to the UN humanitarian office OCHA.

“I’m happy to be back at my home,” said Saif Al-Din Qazaat, who returned to northern Gaza but had to sleep in a tent next to the ruins of his house.

“I kept a fire burning all night near the kids to keep them warm… (They) slept peacefully despite the cold but we don’t have enough blankets,” the 41-year-old told AFP.

– Rubble –

For many, the journey marked not just a return home but a confrontation with the harsh realities of the destruction wrought by the war.

Mona Abu Aathra managed to travel from central Gaza to Gaza City, though she has yet to assess the full extent of the war’s impact on her home.

Her hometown, Beit Hanoun, was among the areas hardest hit by a months-long Israeli military operation which continued right up to this month’s ceasefire.

“We returned to Gaza City with nothing, and there’s no drinking water. Most streets are still blocked by the rubble of destroyed homes,” the 20-year-old told AFP.

Read More

Latest

Trump vows to punish Iran and Houthis for attacks in Red Sea

DUBAI - US missiles struck targets across Iran, reaching as far as its Caspian coast, on July 24 after President Donald Trump vowed “major military punishment” for Tehran and its Houthi allies in Yemen for extending the Middle East war to a second major shipping chokepoint, the mouth of the Red Sea. Two weeks after

Japan’s 100 Hours Curry brings their award-winning curry with a richer flavour to Kuala Lumpur’s MyTown

Chicken Katsu with Omelette Curry Rice with the original curry is the best pairing for its crunchy and creamy textures combined with that richer curry. — Picture by Lee Khang Yi By Lee Khang Yi First Published: Friday, 24 Jul 2026 12:33 PM MYT KUALA LUMPUR, July 24 — The first thing that strikes you

UFC Abu Dhabi: Ankalaev vs. Guskov weigh-in results

Please enable JS and disable any ad blocker

Police detain several after student and father attacked outside Serdang school

Serdang district police chief ACP Muhamad Farid Ahmad said several individuals have been detained over the assault of a 16-year-old student and his father outside a school in Taman Desaminium. — Picture by Raymond Manuel First Published: Friday, 24 Jul 2026 12:22 PM MYT KUALA LUMPUR, July 24 — Police have detained several individuals to

Newsletter

Don't miss

Trump vows to punish Iran and Houthis for attacks in Red Sea

DUBAI - US missiles struck targets across Iran, reaching as far as its Caspian coast, on July 24 after President Donald Trump vowed “major military punishment” for Tehran and its Houthi allies in Yemen for extending the Middle East war to a second major shipping chokepoint, the mouth of the Red Sea. Two weeks after

Japan’s 100 Hours Curry brings their award-winning curry with a richer flavour to Kuala Lumpur’s MyTown

Chicken Katsu with Omelette Curry Rice with the original curry is the best pairing for its crunchy and creamy textures combined with that richer curry. — Picture by Lee Khang Yi By Lee Khang Yi First Published: Friday, 24 Jul 2026 12:33 PM MYT KUALA LUMPUR, July 24 — The first thing that strikes you

UFC Abu Dhabi: Ankalaev vs. Guskov weigh-in results

Please enable JS and disable any ad blocker

Police detain several after student and father attacked outside Serdang school

Serdang district police chief ACP Muhamad Farid Ahmad said several individuals have been detained over the assault of a 16-year-old student and his father outside a school in Taman Desaminium. — Picture by Raymond Manuel First Published: Friday, 24 Jul 2026 12:22 PM MYT KUALA LUMPUR, July 24 — Police have detained several individuals to

Madison Square Garden Locked Nearly All Security Staff Out of Its Camera Network for Taylor Swift’s Wedding, New Report Claims

Photo Credit: Milan Malkomes Madison Square Garden’s controversial surveillance cameras were not at full capacity at Taylor Swift’s wedding, with the majority of security staff forcibly locked out of the network during the event according to a new report. Despite Madison Square Garden owner James Dolan touting the venue’s face-recognition and surveillance camera network as

The business of football

Mar­i­ano Browne The FI­FA World Cup is the largest sin­gle-event sport­ing com­pe­ti­tion in the world. No sin­gle sport­ing event match­es the sin­gu­lar, world­wide fo­cus and tele­vi­sion view­er­ship of the World Cup. The 2026 ver­sion is es­ti­mat­ed to have reached over 5 bil­lion peo­ple, out of the world’s 8.3 bil­lion. It is the most pop­u­lar sport

‘Sabah is open for business’: Hajiji courts investors with promise of sustainable growth, carbon‑negative credentials

Sabah is pitching itself as an Asia-Pacific hub for impact investing, betting that its forests, biodiversity and natural resources can become drivers of economic growth as it seeks private capital for sustainable development. — Picture by Firdaus Latif By Julia Chan First Published: Monday, 13 Jul 2026 11:44 AM MYT KOTA KINABALU, July 13 —

Want Your Business to Be Seen Everywhere? Meet Tonia Ryan, Creator of Fix Your Search

Some people are good at their jobs. Then there is Tonia Ryan, who has turned “getting found online” into something close to magic. She is the creator of Fix Your Search, and if you have ever wondered why some businesses pop up everywhere while others seem invisible...