Council retenders £200m Balfour Beatty contract despite improvements

Motorway-roadworks_shutterstock.jpg

Herefordshire Council is retendering a £200m multi-service contract after deciding to terminate a deal with incumbent contractor Balfour Beatty.

Publication of the public realm services tender – covering highways and improvement works – on 16 January brought to a close nearly two years of deliberations by the council.

The agreement, which included road works, drainage repairs and bridge maintenance was first signed in 2013 and valued at £200m. Herefordshire contracted out multiple services including highway maintenance and improvement works, street lighting, public parks and open spaces.

The council then brought the public rights of way and traffic management services back in house in 2021. But in March 2023, it announced a review of how the contract was being met by Balfour Beatty.

The council claimed at the time that the relationship with the firm might have been “too friendly, with [a] lack of contractual control”. A report set out plans to create an in-house unit with technical staff and external providers topping up services.

Herefordshire Council said in April last year that despite an improvement in performance, a review had concluded that the current contract model “will not deliver the services to the council’s current requirements”.

“Legal advice concluded that the degree of contract modification required to instigate the future operating model would not be permitted under procurement regulations,” the council documents revealed.

The council had considered renegotiating the deal with Balfour Beatty but it eventually concluded that this was not possible. A two-year termination notice was then issued by the council in May 2024.

It added that “both parties are committed to working together for the remaining term of the contract to ensure a smooth transition to the new arrangements”.

Herefordshire Council is now procuring a contract to run from 1 June 2026. The deal is initially for seven years with the option of a three-year extension.

It covers three areas: park and playground equipment, construction work for roads and construction work for highways.

The new contract has a value starting at £150m, with a limit of £200m, and is open to SMEs to bid for it.

Interested parties must respond before noon on 17 February.

Included are road network resilience, construction, street lighting, pothole repairs and maintenance of bridges.

In the tender notice, Herefordshire Council said: “The council may include schemes with an estimated value exceeding £250,000 up to £1m when the requirements set out in the scope are satisfied.”

The council is also committed to “ensure high-quality services for local residents, and a smooth transition to the new arrangements”.

Construction News has approached Balfour Beatty for comment.

Read More
Chris Smith

Latest

AIONOS Highlights Enterprise AI Vision for APAC at GITEX AI ASIA 2026

SINGAPORE, Apr 10, 2026 - (ACN Newswire) - AIONOS, a Singapore-based enterprise AI company backed by InterGlobe Enterprises and Assago Group, is making a strong presence at GITEX AI ASIA 2026, taking place from 9 to 10 April at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. The company’s participation reflects its increasing investment in the Asia Pacific region

‘I Was Immediately Admitted’ – Junior Pope’s Wife Recounts Husband’s Devastating Death

The wife of late Nollywood actor, JohnPaul Odonwodo, popularly known as Junior Pope , Jennifer Odonwodo, has recounted the devastating moment she received news of his death. Naija News reports that Jennifer, in a post via her Instagram page on Friday, described the incident as “the most devastating call” of her life and had assumed

NASA prepares for Artemis 2 return

WASHINGTON — The Artemis 2 mission is set for a final, fiery test when the spacecraft reenters April 10 ahead of a splashdown off the California coast. Artemis 2 will wrap up a mission lasting a little more than nine days with a tightly choreographed sequence of events in the mission’s final hour. It starts

CDL Launches $1.6B Perpetual Securities Programme and More APAC Real Estate Headlines

In today’s review of real estate news from around the region, City Developments Ltd launches a $2 billion perpetual securities programme with UOB as arranger, Ares Management expands its Japan logistics portfolio under the Marq brand with three newly acquired... Read More>> The post CDL Launches $1.6B Perpetual Securities Programme and More APAC Real Estate Headlines appeared

Newsletter

Don't miss

AIONOS Highlights Enterprise AI Vision for APAC at GITEX AI ASIA 2026

SINGAPORE, Apr 10, 2026 - (ACN Newswire) - AIONOS, a Singapore-based enterprise AI company backed by InterGlobe Enterprises and Assago Group, is making a strong presence at GITEX AI ASIA 2026, taking place from 9 to 10 April at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore. The company’s participation reflects its increasing investment in the Asia Pacific region

‘I Was Immediately Admitted’ – Junior Pope’s Wife Recounts Husband’s Devastating Death

The wife of late Nollywood actor, JohnPaul Odonwodo, popularly known as Junior Pope , Jennifer Odonwodo, has recounted the devastating moment she received news of his death. Naija News reports that Jennifer, in a post via her Instagram page on Friday, described the incident as “the most devastating call” of her life and had assumed

NASA prepares for Artemis 2 return

WASHINGTON — The Artemis 2 mission is set for a final, fiery test when the spacecraft reenters April 10 ahead of a splashdown off the California coast. Artemis 2 will wrap up a mission lasting a little more than nine days with a tightly choreographed sequence of events in the mission’s final hour. It starts

CDL Launches $1.6B Perpetual Securities Programme and More APAC Real Estate Headlines

In today’s review of real estate news from around the region, City Developments Ltd launches a $2 billion perpetual securities programme with UOB as arranger, Ares Management expands its Japan logistics portfolio under the Marq brand with three newly acquired... Read More>> The post CDL Launches $1.6B Perpetual Securities Programme and More APAC Real Estate Headlines appeared

India becomes third largest country for solar PV capacity

The MNRE said it is still aiming to achieve Prime Minister Modi’s pledge to reach 500GW of renewable energy and nuclear capacity on India’s grid by 2030. Total solar capacity has increased by 53.28 times since 2014, the MNRE said, rising from 2.82GW in March 2014 to over 150GW in March 2026. It said that

Tesla’s Business Has Become Much More Diversified in Just the Past Five Years. Does That Make Its Stock a Better Buy Today?

Key Points Tesla's energy generation and storage segment generated 27% revenue growth last year. The company's non-automotive segments were able to help offset a double-digit decline in auto revenue in 2025. These 10 stocks could mint the next wave of millionaires › Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) is known for its electric vehicles (EVs), and while they

WD sees sustainability as key business driver in an ‘AI economy’

Hard drive company WD promoted long-term operations and sustainability executive Jackie Jung to become its first chief sustainability officer in February, as it steps up sales to companies building AI data centers. Her vision: Turn sustainability into a “brand” for WD, a strategy that reduces risk for the $6 billion company (formerly known as Western

5 Business Ideas Worth Starting in 2026

If there is one thing Nigerians understand well, it is how to spot opportunity inside hardship. In 2026, that mindset will matter more than ever. The economy is tough, competition is rising, and many people are looking for smarter ways to earn, build, and survive. But even in a difficult environment, some businesses still stand