More than 1,500 construction workers at the Sellafield nuclear site in Cumbria have begun a work-to-rule campaign in a dispute over pay allowances, with the potential for strike action not ruled out.
Unite the Union, which represents the workforce across 34 contractors, confirmed that the action will begin next Saturday (23 August) after a ballot returned more than 90 per cent support for industrial action, including the possibility of future walkouts.
The dispute centres on Sellafield-specific pay allowances. Unite claims these are routinely offered at other nuclear sites, including Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C, but have been withheld by contractors at Sellafield.
Affected trades include electricians, joiners, pipe-fitters, riggers, welders, groundworkers and painters. The work-to-rule campaign is indefinite and is expected to delay clean-up and infrastructure works already running behind schedule.
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said the allowances were needed to reflect the hazardous environment and specialist skills required: “The money is there, but it needs to find its way to our members to recognise their work and expertise.”
Unite has also accused employers of anti-union activity. The union said contractors had blocked representatives from attending meetings and deducted wages from those engaging in trade union duties.
Ryan Armstrong, Unite regional officer, said employers were focusing on “union busting tactics” rather than negotiation. “This action will inevitably delay work at Sellafield, but the employers forced our hand by refusing to offer terms consistent with other nuclear sites,” he said.
The action is taking place against the backdrop of growing scrutiny of delays at the nuclear decommissioning site. The Public Accounts Committee has previously raised concerns about long-standing schedule overruns at Sellafield.
Unite said it remained open to resolving the dispute through negotiation, but warned that unless allowances are agreed, further escalation, including strike action, may follow.
A Sellafield Ltd spokesman said: “We are aware of a dispute involving contractors working at Sellafield who are employed under the NAECI and CIJC Working Rule Agreements. Sellafield Ltd is not directly involved in this dispute.
“As always, the safety and security of the Sellafield site, our workforce, and the local community is our priority.”
Source: Unite press release
Read More
Colin Marrs
