The U.S. and China are finally having trade talks. Here’s what to expect

In This Story

For the first time since President Donald Trump imposed a sweeping 145% tariff on Chinese imports, senior U.S. and Chinese officials will meet face-to-face this weekend in Geneva. The high-level talks could mark a turning point in a trade war that has frozen key sectors of the global economy and rattled business confidence.

Suggested Reading

How Trump’s tariffs could make your iPhone cost $3,500

Suggested Reading

U.S. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer are scheduled to meet with Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng, Beijing’s top economic official and a key figure on the Communist Party’s Politburo. This marks the highest-level engagement between the two countries since the latest escalation in tariffs brought U.S.-China trade nearly to a halt.

Here’s what you can expect discussions to focus on.

Talks likely aimed at deescalation, not a deal

While no breakthrough — and certainly no trade deal — is expected, the meetings are widely seen as a first step toward cooling trade tensions.

“My sense is that this will be about de-escalation, not about the big trade deal,” Bessent told Fox News (FOXA)’ Laura Ingraham earlier this week. “But we’ve got to deescalate before we can move forward.”

Bessent noted that the 145% U.S. tariff and China’s 125% retaliatory duty are tantamount to an “embargo,” warning that such levels are “not sustainable”—especially on China’s side. He emphasized that the Trump administration is seeking “fair trade,” not decoupling. The Treasury Secretary previously said it was China’s responsibility to cool the flames of the trade war, flames Trump largely stoked.

Trump, earlier this week hinted that China “wants to meet” and that talks will happen “at the right time.” The president has also signaled that rates could “come down substantially” — though he insists that it’s other countries, not the U.S., that need trade deals.

“We don’t have to sign deals. They have to sign deals with us,” he said during a meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney.

Trump’s rhetoric remains unpredictable. Friday morning, he suggested a potential lowering of the high tariffs he placed on Chinese goods — a still-high but significantly lower 80%.

“80% Tariff on China seems right! Up to Scott B.,” Trump posted on his Truth Social account, referring to Bessent.

The president’s post has further fueled speculation that his administration is preparing to revise its tariff strategy. The New York Post (NWSA) reported Thursday that those numbers might not be the 80% the president teased Friday morning but lower: reportedly between 50% and 54%.

What’s on the table

While both sides have kept the official agenda vague, expectations are coalescing around a few core themes: tariff deescalation, supply chain stabilization, investment and market access, and technological policy.

The most immediate focus is expected to be easing the punishing tariffs that have brought U.S.-China trade in sectors such as consumer electronics, agriculture, and industrial goods to a standstill. Both governments have acknowledged these levels are economically damaging.

U.S. businesses continue to push for relief, warning of rising costs and supply chain disruptions. Imports through key U.S. ports have plummeted to early-pandemic levels, prompting some manufacturers to accelerate diversification strategies, including relocating production or reshoring parts of their supply chains.

Although not expected to result in any immediate agreements, the Geneva meetings could reopen channels for more formal bilateral investment talks. American firms, particularly in finance, health care, and manufacturing, have long sought more predictable access to China’s market, a key issue in past negotiations. Trump wrote in an all-caps social media message Friday morning that “China should open up its market” to the U.S., because it “would be so good for them.”

“CLOSED MARKETS DON’T WORK ANYMORE!!!” Trump said in the Truth Social post.

And intellectual-property protections and export controls remain flashpoints. U.S. officials could to press Beijing on IP enforcement, while China is likely to challenge expanding U.S. tech restrictions.

A carefully choreographed first step

Both governments are portraying the talks as a pragmatic, if unofficial, step forward. In a nod to diplomacy, Bessent claimed the meetings came about because both delegations “happened to be in Switzerland,” while Chinese officials framed Vice Premier He’s presence as a response to an invitation from the Swiss government.

The neutral setting of Geneva — also home to the World Trade Organization — offers symbolic cover as both sides navigate the political optics of meeting after months of tariff escalations and stalled backchannel efforts.

The Commerce Ministry said in a statement last week that senior U.S. officials have reached out “multiple times” to start negotiations. Trump, however, has insisted that Chinese President Xi Jinping has been the one to reach out to him — and not the other way around.

Trump said in a recent interview with Time that Xi had called him, which prompted Chinese officials to call that report “fake news” and emphasize that there had been no calls and no talks on tariffs. Since then, however, China has hinted that the government is willing to talk trade — with some significant caveats, including no coercion or “blackmail.”

“If the U.S. wants to talk, it should show its sincerity and be prepared to correct its wrong practices and cancel the unilateral tariffs,” a spokesperson for the commerce ministry said in a statement in early May.

A fragile opening

Despite the symbolic weight of the meetings this weekend, Bessent has emphasized that the U.S. has not yet begun formal negotiations with China. “We have not engaged in negotiations with [them] as of yet,” he said in testimony before Congress earlier this week, even while acknowledging that 17 other countries are in active trade talks with the U.S. The Trump administration announced its first post-tariffs trade agreement, with the United Kingdom, on Thursday.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian acknowledged the talks but warned that Beijing would not respond to “threats and pressure.” If the U.S. is serious about a negotiated solution, he said, it must “change its approach.”

Still, markets reacted positively to the Geneva announcement. U.S. stock futures rebounded Tuesday evening after the news broke, reflecting optimism that a diplomatic thaw might be underway.

Whether this weekend’s talks mark the start of real negotiations — or simply a bucket of water thrown on the flames of an intensifying trade war — will depend on what is said behind closed doors this weekend.

Read More
Shannon Carroll

Latest

Churchill Trends As Old Clip Of Tonto Dikeh Alleging She Funded Their Wedding Goes Viral

A video of Tonto Dikeh discussing her marriage to Olakunle Churchill has resurfaced online. The renewed interest follows Churchill’s recent comments about his current marriage to Rosy Meurer. In the video, Tonto shares her emotional experience during their wedding, claiming she financed most of the ceremony while pregnant. An old video of Nollywood actress Tonto

The Home Depot is blowing out Ryobi 40V electric yard tools during this limited spring sale

The system works flawlessly together so buying in makes chores simpler. Ryobi We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more › Sign Up For Goods 🛍️ Product news, reviews, and must-have deals. Spring lawn season is the right time to catch a Ryobi 40V outdoor

“I don’t think it’s a good idea”: Van Dijk breaks speaks out on Liverpool star’s exit rumours

Van Dijk breaks silence on key Liverpool teammate’s uncertain future April 29th 2026, 17:10 Alisson Becker hugs Virgil van Dijk (Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images) Alisson Becker has been linked with a move away from the club at the end of the season. He has been an exceptional servant for Liverpool over the years, and

Watch: YG Teases New Boy Group; Reveals New Girl Group Member + Plans For BABYMONSTER And TREASURE

YG Entertainment has revealed some of its plans for the months ahead—along with the third member of its upcoming girl group! On April 30 at midnight KST, YG Entertainment released an announcement video in which founder Yang Hyun Suk spoke about what the agency has coming up. With BABYMONSTER gearing up to make a comeback

Newsletter

Don't miss

Churchill Trends As Old Clip Of Tonto Dikeh Alleging She Funded Their Wedding Goes Viral

A video of Tonto Dikeh discussing her marriage to Olakunle Churchill has resurfaced online. The renewed interest follows Churchill’s recent comments about his current marriage to Rosy Meurer. In the video, Tonto shares her emotional experience during their wedding, claiming she financed most of the ceremony while pregnant. An old video of Nollywood actress Tonto

The Home Depot is blowing out Ryobi 40V electric yard tools during this limited spring sale

The system works flawlessly together so buying in makes chores simpler. Ryobi We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more › Sign Up For Goods 🛍️ Product news, reviews, and must-have deals. Spring lawn season is the right time to catch a Ryobi 40V outdoor

“I don’t think it’s a good idea”: Van Dijk breaks speaks out on Liverpool star’s exit rumours

Van Dijk breaks silence on key Liverpool teammate’s uncertain future April 29th 2026, 17:10 Alisson Becker hugs Virgil van Dijk (Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images) Alisson Becker has been linked with a move away from the club at the end of the season. He has been an exceptional servant for Liverpool over the years, and

Watch: YG Teases New Boy Group; Reveals New Girl Group Member + Plans For BABYMONSTER And TREASURE

YG Entertainment has revealed some of its plans for the months ahead—along with the third member of its upcoming girl group! On April 30 at midnight KST, YG Entertainment released an announcement video in which founder Yang Hyun Suk spoke about what the agency has coming up. With BABYMONSTER gearing up to make a comeback

We Investigated Pastor Jerry Eze For Alleged Money Laundering – EFCC Chairman

Ola Olukoyede, chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has disclosed that Pastor Jerry Eze of Streams of Joy International was investigated for about six months over suspected money laundering before being cleared. The EFCC Chairman disclosed this on Wednesday while speaking at the Jerry Eze Foundation Business Grant Award Ceremony in Abuja.

Tesla’s Business Has Become Much More Diversified in Just the Past Five Years. Does That Make Its Stock a Better Buy Today?

Key Points Tesla's energy generation and storage segment generated 27% revenue growth last year. The company's non-automotive segments were able to help offset a double-digit decline in auto revenue in 2025. These 10 stocks could mint the next wave of millionaires › Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) is known for its electric vehicles (EVs), and while they

WD sees sustainability as key business driver in an ‘AI economy’

Hard drive company WD promoted long-term operations and sustainability executive Jackie Jung to become its first chief sustainability officer in February, as it steps up sales to companies building AI data centers. Her vision: Turn sustainability into a “brand” for WD, a strategy that reduces risk for the $6 billion company (formerly known as Western

5 Business Ideas Worth Starting in 2026

If there is one thing Nigerians understand well, it is how to spot opportunity inside hardship. In 2026, that mindset will matter more than ever. The economy is tough, competition is rising, and many people are looking for smarter ways to earn, build, and survive. But even in a difficult environment, some businesses still stand